Parent-Grandparent Sponsorship



You can apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents by submitting the “interest to sponsor form” and when you’re invited to submit a complete application, you can sponsor your parents and grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada. If you do, you must:

support them and their dependants financially make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government.

Processing time: 20-24 months

Sponsor’s Eligibility

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old
  • You live in Canada
  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada
    as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • You have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor
    To show that you have enough, you’ll have to provide your proof of income.

If you live outside Quebec

To become a sponsor, you must promise to financially take care of the persons you are sponsoring for a period of time. This is called this promise an undertaking. The undertaking commits you to:

  • Providing financial support for your sponsored family members for 20 years, starting when they
    become permanent residents
  • Repaying any provincial social assistance (money from the government) your sponsored family
    members get during that time
  • Also, you and your sponsored family members need to agree to certain responsibilities during
    the undertaking period. This is called the sponsorship agreement.

The sponsorship agreement means that:

you’ll provide for the basic needs of your sponsored family members the person you sponsor will make every effort to support themselves and their family members When you apply, you’ll have to complete and sign a form that includes the undertaking and the sponsorship agreement.

If you live in Quebec

You must meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after we approve you as a sponsor. The Quebec ministry in charge of immigration will assess your income. You must also sign an undertaking with the province of Quebec.

Who can’t sponsor a parent or grandparent You can’t sponsor your parents and grandparents if:

  • You’re less than 18 years old
  • You won’t live in Canada when you apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents and/or
    when your parents and grandparents become permanent residents
  • Your primary residential address must be in Canada when you submit your application and until
    a decision on your application is made.
  • You’re not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in
    Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • You’re a temporary resident, that is you’re visiting, studying or working in Canada on a visa or
  • Your permanent residence application is still in process
  • You must have permanent resident status at the time you submit your sponsorship application.
  • Your proof of income shows you don’t have enough money to support the persons you want to
  • You may not be eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents if you:
    • are in jail, prison, or penitentiary
  • didn’t pay back:
    • an immigration loan
    • a performance bond
    • court-ordered family support payments such as alimony or child support
    • didn’t give the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship
      agreement to sponsor someone else in the past
    • declared bankruptcy and are not discharged

receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence inside or outside Canada

can’t legally stay in Canada and must leave the country because you received a Removal Order There may be other reasons that make you ineligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents. If it is determined you’re not eligible to sponsor, you’ll be notified why.

Who you can sponsor

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption. In case of divorce or separation, you can sponsor your parents’ and your grandparents’ spouses, or conjugal or common-law partners.

In the application, you can only include your brothers and sisters, or half brothers and sisters, if they qualify as dependent children.

You may sponsor more than 1 person or couple if you meet the income requirements for all the people you want to sponsor and their dependents (spouse, partner and children).

The people you sponsor must also be eligible

To show they meet the eligibility requirements, your parents and grandparents and their dependants must provide:

all required forms and documents with their application any additional information requested during processing, including:

  • medical exams
  • police certificates
  • biometrics

Who you can’t sponsor

You can’t sponsor:

your spouse’s parents and grandparents (your in-laws) However, you can be a co-signer on your in-laws’ application. someone who is inadmissible to Canada This means they are not allowed to come to Canada.


Interest to Sponsor

The first step to sponsor your parents or grandparents you have to submit the interest to sponsor form after determining the eligibility.

If you successfully submitted the interest to sponsor form After you successfully submitted the interest to sponsor form, you saw a page with your confirmation number. Keep this number for your records. You can use it later to check if you have been invited to apply.

You’ll also receive an email to confirm that your form was received.

You can’t modify the interest to sponsor form after you’ve submitted it. If you made a mistake on your interest to sponsor form, find out how to correct a mistake or update your information.

Invitations to submit a complete application

The potential sponsors to submit a complete application will be invited in the same order the interest to sponsor forms were submitted.

The invitations will be sent after reviewing the submissions and removal of duplicates. Use your confirmation number to find out if you’re invited to apply.

The potential sponsors will be notified by email. To make sure you don’t miss our email: Check the same email account you used on the interest to sponsor form.

Check the junk mail folder to see if the email from us is there.

Let us know if your email address has changed.


If you’re invited to apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents, there are 2 applications:

You must apply to become a sponsor. Your parents or grandparents must apply for permanent residence.

Send both the sponsorship and the permanent residence applications together at the same time. The application package must be submitted within 60 days from the date of your invitation. The deadline is clearly indicated in your invitation to apply. There are 6 steps to apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents.

1. Submit the interest to sponsor form

The first step to sponsor your parents or grandparents is filling out the interest to sponsor form. It’s available at the beginning of the year for a limited time. After the form closes, the submissions are reviewed and duplicates are removed.

2. Get an invitation to submit a complete application

The potential sponsors to submit a complete application will be invited in the same order the interest to sponsor forms were submitted online.

3. Get the application package

To avoid using outdated forms, don’t prepare your application before you’re invited to submit a complete application.

    • The application package includes the:
      • document checklist for you and the persons you want to sponsor
      • forms you and the persons you want to sponsor need to fill out
      • instruction guide to help you and your family members fill out the forms correctly
      • Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The sponsorship application
        fee for processing your form can’t be refunded.
    • Make sure:
      • you’re eligible to sponsor before you apply
      • you list all your family members
      • all the information on your application is true
      • your application is complete
      • prepare your parents’ and grandparents’ application for them.
      • This would mean that you’d be acting as their representative
        check on their application status

4. Pay your application fees

    • In most cases, your fees will include:
      • processing fees for you, the persons you’re sponsoring and their dependants
        the Right of Permanent Residence Fee
      • the biometrics fee
      • You have to pay your fees online.
    • Biometrics fee
      • In most cases, you must pay a biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you
        may experience delays. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital
    • Third party fees
      • Depending on your situation, you may need to pay third parties for:
      • your medical exam
      • a police certificate

5. Submit your application

The complete application should be submitted within 60 days. The deadline is specified in your invitation.

The mailing instructions are in the application guide.

You may use a courier service to submit your application, if you want to. Courier services will help you track your application. You can also use regular mail.

The application will be returned to you if:

    • it’s incomplete
    • fees are missing
    • you weren’t invited to submit a complete application
    • Application was not submitted within the deadline specified in your invitation

6. Send us additional information during processing

During processing, the person you are sponsoring will be asked to submit their:

    • biometrics
    • When the biometrics fee is paid, your family members will recieve a letter asking them to give
      their biometrics.
    • Your family members must show this letter when they give their biometrics.
    • They have 30 days to give their biometrics in person at their closest collection point.
    • medical exams
    • police certificates
    • You don’t have to include police certificates when you apply. You will be asked for them later in
      the process.
    • You need a police certificate for the people being sponsored and each family member 18 or
      older (who isn’t already a Canadian citizen or permanent resident).
    • Police certificates are generally valid for 1 year from the date they’re issued.
      Depending on processing times, you may be asked for new certificates.
    • You’ll receive the instructions and let your family members know how much time they have to
      send us this information.
    • You must tell us of any change in circumstances, such as:
    • birth or adoption of children
    • marriage or divorce
    • death of an applicant or dependant

After you Apply

  • Your sponsorship application will be processed if:
    • the application form was completely filled and submitted
    • complete fees was paid
    • you were invited to submit an application
    • the application was submitted within the specified deadline
      Once the process is initiated,

Get Consultation Now!

LMIA/Work Permit

LMIA(Labour Market Impact Assessment) is a certificate issued by the Government of Canada for foreign workers to obtain a work permit. Canadian work permit visa : 

Read More »

College Admissions And Transfers

CHANGE OF POST-SECONDARY SCHOOL Post-secondary schools include: University Community college, CEGEP, institute Private university, career college, academy, school or training institution andESL/FSL and other language

Read More »

Provincial Nominee Program

Provincial Nomination Program (PNP) is a way to obtain Canadian Permanent Residence and it allows the Provinces and territories to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate

Read More »

Study Permit Extension

STUDY PERMIT EXTENSION A study permit is a certificate issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that requires students to study in Canada from

Read More »